Sunday, May 22, 2011

Planting Day!

This was a day I had been looking forward to for a long time! On May 21st, I created the zinnia garden. Here are the steps:
The zinnia garden: lots of weeds have accumulated since the last time I weeded!

The garden after weeding

Ginnie loved lying in the dirt!

After breaking up the soil with the shovel. The soil is very clay-like.

After adding 50 lbs of gardening soil

After mixing the gardening soil with the soil that was already there


The whole peat pot goes into the hole.



Important to water!

The finished garden!

 On May 22nd, I planted the columbines and lupines in the big front garden.
The darker areas are the places where the columbine seedlings were planted.
I also prepared the little front garden that runs along the front of the house. It took a lot of work to take out all of the rocks, but it will be better for planting now.
The little front garden

After removing rocks and weeds (which took forever!).

I added the gardening soil to this garden too, because the soil here was also very clay-like.

I planted the poppies here.
Now, I am looking forward to moving the next set of seedlings out and hoping the ones that are already outside stay alive!

2 comments:

  1. That clay is a real challenge, isn't it? It can get awfully difficult to break up and mix with better soil components. There's a lot of work behind those photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the clay was really bad! I definitely wouldn't want to plant my seedlings directly into it... they would have lots of trouble growing. You are right about the work -- my muscles are very sore!

    ReplyDelete