Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Where are the blooms?

I have been waiting and waiting for my poppies, lupines, and columbines to bloom... but I don't think it's going to happen. Maybe I started them too late? I've also read that maybe the columbines may not be getting enough sun. I don't know what the problem is, but it is pretty sad. They keep growing and growing, but there is no sign of blooms.
Poppies

Huge columbine, no bloom!

Another huge columbine

Lupine

I have had lots of pretty flowers, though. I have no shortage of plants!
Some daisies I got on sale at Lowe's for $1 each!


Huge hosta! I am going to need to figure out how to divide this this fall.

The best news is the zinnias are blooming like crazy! They are also getting huge. I think I planted too many in this garden.
Out of control!



One of the Giants. This is the biggest bloom I've had so far!

The stem is bent like this because the whole plant fell over after a storm. Then the stem started growing vertically. Then I staked it, and it started growing vertically again.




2 comments:

  1. I've seen fertilizers that say they will promote flowering. Have you tried one of those?

    Or perhaps this is a new generation of plants that are more concerned with careers than with reproduction. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea, Ralph! I probably do need to figure out fertilizers. I've done a little research, and it seems like the lupine may just not bloom at all until next year, and that is normal. It may be too hot now for the poppies, and they may be dormant already. As for the columbines, I will find some fertilizer for them and hope that they start blooming! I have a ton of huge plants that seem to be healthy, so it seems like they should be able to bloom.

    Or.... maybe you are right about their careers. Am I just being old-fashioned?

    ReplyDelete