Thursday, April 21, 2011

Short Update

I have lots of sprouts and lots of plants shooting up. This will be a short picture update of the garden. More updates (including a sprout-count update) will come later!
Petunia sprout - finally!

Tomatoes - doing really well!

Lavender - lots and lots of sprouts

Snapdragon - tons of these

My tall zinnias - many are up to 8 leaves!

Columbine

Poppies - doing pretty well; all are at the 4-leaf stage

Delphinium - Revived from the dead. I had given up hope on them... but then I noticed a sprout growing in one of the cells in the tray in the garbage a few days later! (This explains the discarded contact lens you may be able to see in the left of the picture). Now I have 5 sprouts that are doing well! (Sorry for the sideways picture!)

Lupine bending toward the grow light

Johnny-jump up

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a plan for placing all these lovely plants in your yard? Will you have to buy the lot next door to make room for them all? Or will new areas (e.g., on the back deck) be brought into agricultural production?

    It all looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great question! All of the tomatoes are going to go in pots on the back deck. I think I might also have lavender and snapdragons in pots on the deck. Also, because Mom loves them so much, I will probably buy hanging baskets with pansies (or are they petunias?) and put them on the deck. I do have a general idea of placing in the gardens for the rest of the plants, and it is based mostly on the amount of sun each area receives and the sun requirements of each plant (you can check out my new tab below the blog header to see the requirements for each flower that I have!). I do have hundreds of snapdragon sprouts, and close to 100 each of poppies, lavender, and johnny-jump-up... so I will have to see what happens. The sad thing is, probably not all of the sprouts will survive the transplant from inside to outside, but I will still have a lot!
    I will post blogs on the adventure, and you will see the finished product in June when you come out here! I am planning on planting in the garden in mid-May. Most of my plants are big enough to plant outside right now, but there is still a chance of frost, so they have to wait in the yucky basement for a couple of weeks!

    And yes, I have a lot of fun learning about this stuff and taking care of the plants!

    ReplyDelete