Saturday, April 2, 2011

Tomato Planting and Poppy Thinning

Things are coming along with the seedlings. We have had another snafu, though; Kiki the Terrible somehow got into the guest bedroom (did someone leave the guest bedroom door open accidentally?) while William and I were at work a while ago. You can probably guess what happened. She completely ate 4 or 5 zinnias, and based on the withering zinnias that have been dying off, I think she munched on some of the leaves of a few more zinnias. Sadly, the zinnia count is going down again. I feel better reminding myself that I can always buy a 20 cent package of zinnia seeds and I'll have tons more in no time. The rest of the zinnias are doing ok, but I think that once I get my plant light (more about that when I get it), they will get a little more sturdy.
Remaining zinnia seedlings, with some empty pots and a couple withered seedlings. Oh, Kiki!

Six-leaf zinnia. (Not the same one as in the last blog, though; that one was eaten).

Another view of the 6-leaf zinnia.
The lupine seedlings also took a hit. She ate a couple of them (the leaves, at least. Maybe they aren't as tasty as zinnias). However, I have had more lupine seedlings come up, and they are looking very strong and sturdy, so I don't feel as bad. I'm very excited about the lupines. They will be my "tall" flowers. They aren't too shabby looking, either.. 
All of the lupine sprouts
One healthy lupine sprout with the stem of a partially-eaten sprout in the same well
 I have had some more columbine sprouts pop up (and a few wither away for some reason; did I overwater? underwater? not enough sun? bad soil?). I am really looking forward to having lots of columbines for a number of reasons. They will be my "partial shade" flowers; they self-sow very very easily; and of course, they are beautiful! I love the intricate and complicated flower pattern. 
Biggest columbine sprout
Today I also went to work thinning out my poppy sprouts. It took forever since I had so many of them. Next time I sow them, I will sow them much much thinner! 
Cluster of poppy sprouts
Poppy sprout; they have very long roots
Poppy sprout with the seed coat still attached to the leaves

Three-leaf poppy sprout. I thought they were supposed to have 4 leaves... but they were all like this.
Newly-thinned poppy sprouts (only a fraction of the total number of sprouts!)
 I am also excited to say that I planted some tomato seeds! My friend Lauren, a fellow (more experienced) gardener, gave me some Brown Berry and some Jaune Flamme seeds that she saved from last year. She had a germination rate of 100% (!!) last year, so I am very excited about growing these plants. Lauren also gave me lots of gardening advice, like when to move seedlings outside (May, which is probably later than I would have moved them -- frost death averted), how to acclimate them to their new outdoor environment, and what kind of setup to get for a grow lamp (should be cheaper than I imagined). This clueless gardener is very grateful for the advice. Thanks Lauren!!

It seems like it has been raining forever! I'm hoping that the sun will come out soon. My plants and I need it!
My good helper, Gin-dog!

3 comments:

  1. Ginnie looks really cute! Sorry about Kiki's handiwork - but it does mean that you are growing tasty plants. The poppy seed sprouts are overwhelming! I'm planning to grow tomato plants in the pots that you got for the wedding and left here. I hope that's ok. I hope to start soon, but with plants, I'm not going to start with seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that there are houseplants one can grow to give kitties something to munch on. Have you considered providing your local pride of lions with something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, that is really exciting about growing tomatoes! You might have tomatoes before I do... The pots I got for the wedding sound perfect for them! I am going to get ones similar to those when my tomato plants get bigger, and grow my tomatoes in them on the deck.
    Funny you should ask, Ralph! I got some catnip seeds a couple weeks ago, and it is now sprouting in a pot on the kitchen window sill! They are still small sprouts, and the kitties haven't noticed them yet... they did discover the extra seeds and rip open the plastic bag they were in, though. I will add a picture of the catnip in my next blog, which should be added this weekend, because I have lots of new sprouts!

    ReplyDelete