Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 10: Planting More

I decided to plant a whole tray of seeds that will take a long time to germinate (average time of 20 days). This makes more sense than what I did before... I am learning! I can move the whole tray from the greenhouse to the window instead of having to cut individual cells out. Here are the steps of planting the seeds!    
A picture of the elusive Callie!
                 
Ginnie and Callie sniffing out the seed tray.
Adding the soil to the cells. Kiki is drinking the warm water I set out to moisten the soil before adding the seeds. Callie is eating (you can see her tail in the upper right corner). What else is new?
Lupine seeds
Poppy seeds - I just sprinkled them over some cells because you are supposed to cover them with very little soil.
Columbine seeds
Using a pencil to create the holes for the seeds. If you are taking a picture of yourself using a timer, watch the camera to make sure that a cat doesn't knock it over...
If that certain cat is about to knock over the camera, catch it before it falls, especially if it's a new camera! Ha ha ha

More of creating holes and the elusive Callie

Adding seeds. Notice the background? Someone's camera shy.
After adding all of the seeds, I covered them with soil, re-watered them, and returned them to the bathroom greenhouse where they will stay for the next few weeks until they (hopefully) sprout!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Callie photos! The process seems awfully lengthy and complex. How do people without cats manage to have gardens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the cats that like to eat zinnia leaves sure don't help with the gardening process. It just kills the zinnia sprout. I won't name any names, but just follow my eyes. (I'm looking at Kiki).

    ReplyDelete