Thursday, March 10, 2011

The start of my gardening adventure

On the first day, I collected all of the necessary ingredients, including seeds of zinnia, columbine, snapdragon, delphinium, portulaca, petunia, nasturtium, and oriental poppy. Each seed packet cost about $0.20, so I went a little crazy. These are all perrenial flowers, so they should come back year after year! I also bought seed starter trays at Walmart for $2.00 each. They are biodegradable, and when the flowers are ready to plant outside, you can just cut out the particular well and plant the whole thing in the soil! I also bought potting soil, but overall it was an inexpensive start to my new hobby!
 
I followed the directions that came with the seed cell trays and filled each cell with soil, then wet the soil with warm water. I added two seeds to each well following the directions on the seed packets for the planting depth. I used the eraser end of an old-fashioned wooden pencil to make the holes, and then just dropped the seeds in. Then I watered again with warm water. 
Little did I know that Kiki would later develop a habit of chewing on the cardboard seed tray.


I put the seed trays in the bathroom, which is the warmest room in our house. Then all I had to do was wait!                                                         
Five days later, I had 7 sprouts, all of which were Zinnia. I moved these two trays from the bathroom to the guest bedroom window, where they can get some sun (even though it has been raining and cloudy ever since they moved).
 
Here is a close-up of a Zinnia sprout.                                                   
Another close-up of two Zinnia sprouts.                          

I will continue to water the soil with warm water when it gets dry. Now I just have to do some more waiting and hope that the sun comes out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment