Friday, March 11, 2011

Nasturtiums Make a Move

Upon doing a little more research on each flower I am growing, I found out that the nasturtiums need warm soil. Otherwise, they will rot. My nasturtium seeds were in the same seed tray as the zinnias, so they had been moved out of the warm "greenhouse," so I was worried about them rotting. I checked the seeds, and they showed no signs of rotting. I decided to move them back to the greenhouse so that they can stay a little warmer and hopefully germinate. I cut the nasturtium cells out of the seed tray and put them in plastic containers.                                                           
Thanks for the help, Ginnie!
Then I put up plastic hooks right above the heater in the bathroom/greenhouse and attached the plastic containers to the hooks. Then I turned down the heater a little... I don't want to start any fires.
In the meantime, I have no new zinnia sprouts, but the current ones are growing quickly.

Close-up of the zinnia leaves
In other news... it is snowing.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea that the seeds could rot. What would a rotting seed look like anyway? I'm glad the Zinnias are still growing. Boo for snow. Nature is very confused right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm learning that I don't know very much about growing flowers from seeds. A rotting seed would be mushy. The nasturtium seeds are really big, like the size of a small pebble, and when they rot, they get mushy. On the bright side, none of the snow stuck, and it looks sunny right now. My zinnias will see bright sunshine for the first time!!

    ReplyDelete